06 October 2020
Key dates through the year to help you look after and protect your church and those who use it.
Water pipes and heating
- Check that your water pipes are lagged, the stopcock is clearly labelled, and your heating system has been serviced by a registered engineer.
Health and safety
- Review your health & safety arrangements to ensure they remain adequate and are compliant with relevant legal requirements.
- Check that electrical systems have been inspected by a qualified electrician within the last five years and all portable appliances have been tested.
- As Easter activities hop into the diary, review arrangements to protect your younger and more vulnerable participants and volunteers.
Fetes and events
- Review arrangements to ensure everyone has a great time and remains safe.
- Lock valuables in a secure area and remove anything that could aid an arson attack.
- Check your lightning conductor tape annually and repair breakages. Ensure your lightning protection system has been inspected in the last four years.
Slips and trips
- Review your arrangements to tackle slip and trip hazards indoors and outside.
- Review situations where people work alone and ensure adequate precautions are in place to protect them.
- Check pipes and lag where necessary, clear fallen leaves from pathways, ensure trees are safe, and clear roof valleys and gutters of debris.
Fire risk assessments
- Review your fire risk assessment. It is important to do this on an annual basis and is a legal requirement.
- Review your safety and escape procedures. Check all Christmas lights, power cables, extension leads and precautions for candles and extra equipment.